Kefalas Soteris, PhD, MSc, MBA, BSc
Educator – Researcher –Author
Address: 109 Akefalou Str. 5296 Paralimni, Cyprus
Phone Number: +357 99684456 Fax : +357 23819452
Email: kefalas.soteris@ cytanet.com.cy
2007-2010 International School of Management Paris, France
PhD in International Business Management
- Relevant Coursework: Modern Leadership, Business Innovation Management, Five Star Management, Finance Markets, Institutions & Investments, Customer Relationship Management, Supply Chain Management, Institutional Change and Economy Development in China, Teaching the Human Brain, Career Counselling in the 21st Century, etc Doctoral Dissertation: Measuring Service Quality and Guest Service in Hospitality Industry in Cyprus using the SERVQUAL MODEL.
1997-2000 Sheffield Hallam University Sheffield. UK
MSc Degree in Hospitality Management
- Relevant Coursework: Management Information, Functional Management 1, Functional Management 2, Hospitality Management, Hospitality Quality Management, Strategic Management, Technology Food Systems: Planning, Dissertation: “Expectations and Perceptions of Service Quality in Four Stars Hotels in Cyprus”.
1986-1988 Pacific States University Los Angeles, CA
M.B.A. Degree, International Management.
- Relevant Coursework: Management Organisational Behaviour, Management Accounting, Law in International Business, Research Methods and Mechanics, Human Recourse Management, Corporate Finance, International Marketing, etc,. b
1981-1984 Denver University Denver, CO
BSc Degree, Hotel and Restaurant Management.
- Relevant Coursework: Hotel and Restaurant Management, Accounting for Hospitality Industry, Lodging Management, Human Resource Management, Feasibility Studies for Hotels and Restaurants, etc.
1979–1981 Nassau Community College Garden City, NY
A.A.S. Degree, Hotel Technology Administration
- Graduated Cum Laude.
- Relevant Coursework: Front Office Operations, Food and Beverage.
- Operations, Tourism Management, Hotel and Restaurant Management, etc.
1990 – Indefinite AH&LA Educational Institute East Lansing, MI
C.H.A.: Certified Hotel Administrator
Management and Academic Experience
2019 Oct – up to present Larnaka College Larnaka, Cyprus
- Inspect and assess all teaching staff
- Inspect all the teacher’s analytical programs
- Manages and executes various administrative duties such as: programs coordination, course scheduling and assignments, research, examinations
2016 Oct – up to Present Internapa College Sotira, Cyprus
- Lecturing in Hospitality and Tourism Management Program
- Member of Program Academic Committee
- Member of Library Committee
2013 – 2016 Supervisor of Hotel and Catering Studies, Technical and Vocational Secondary Education, Ministry of Education and Culture of Cyprus
- Inspects and assesses all Public Technical and Vocational Schools in Cyprus
- Inspects and assesses all teaching staff in the Public Technical and Vocational Schools in Cyprus
- Organizes and delivers educational conferences and training seminars for the professional development of the teaching staff
- Manages and executes various administrative duties such as: programs coordination, course scheduling and assignments, research, examinations and students guidance and professional development
2011 – 2013 Head Master, Paralimni Technical School Paralimni, Cyprus
- Supervises the smooth running of the School
- Implements the aims and objectives of the school
- Co-ordination and communication
- Planning and general control
- Traces the strategy for the implementation of the educational goals
- Supervises the effectiveness of the school’s operations
- Counselling and vocational guidance service
- Chairs the meetings of the Management
- Chairs the meetings of the Teachers’ Union
2008 – 2011 Assistant Principal A’, Hotel Department, Paralimni Technical School, Cyprus
- Responsible for curricula, teaching means, teaching methods, training of teachers, student evaluation, reception of new appointees within the action plan
- Informs the members of the teachers’ association analytically regarding the priorities/directions of the education authority regarding the above matters,
- Co-ordinates the orientation counsellors
- Reinforces creative occupation of students, encourages the development of initiatives/skills/interests,
- Familiarization/ provision of services to the school, local and international community,
- Provision of more opportunities for communication among students and between teachers and students,
- Performance of any other duties related to the “CREATIVITY-ACTION-SOCIAL CONTRIBUTION” programme
- Organizing / managing workshops or other specialized spaces, such as sports etc,
- Specialized actions included in planning the work of the school unit,
- In the area of educational work in the school unit.
2001 – 2008 Assistant Principal, Hotel Department, Paralimni Technical School, Cyprus
- Helps the Headmaster of the school for the normal and effective management and function of it
- Participates in all activities of the school
- Responsible for some specific activities requested by the headmaster
- Teaches lessons according to the analytical programs
- Supervises and coordinates his department, i.e. supervisor for the hotel and catering department
- Fulfils any other duties that help students, school and the education in general.
1988 – 2000 Hotel Instructor, Paralimni Technical School, Paralimni, Cyprus
- Guiding the students to becoming democratic citizens
- Ensuring the well-being of the students
- Coordinating the hotel and catering programs
- Supervising the student’s practical training at the hotels.
Previous Industry Positions
1986 – 1988 Food and Beverage Manager, Flora Hotel, Protaras, Cyprus
- Selecting, supervising, and scheduling employees
- Purchasing food and beverage
- Determining food and beverage cost, etc
1984 – 1986 Assistant Manager, Green Bay Hotel, Protaras, Cyprus
- Ensuring the well-being of the guests
- Solving any questions/complaints regarding accommodations
- Coordinating the hotel staff’s effort to satisfy guests
1983 – 1984 Waiter, Fig Tree Restaurant, Protaras, Cyprus
- Setting up tables for lunch/dinner
- Taking/serving orders properly
- Making suggestions regarding food and service
1982 – 1983 Receptionist, Nissi Beach Hotel, Ayia Napa, Cyprus
- Greeting and registering guests
- Maintaining perpetual inventory of saleable rooms
- Recording all guests’ transactions
- Studies in International Business Management: An Experiential Approach to Making Decisions
- The Guests Expectations and Perceptions on the Service Quality of Four Hotels in Cyprus
- The Hotel and Food Industry in Cyprus
- The Operation of an Hotel Apartment Complex
- Feasibility and Market Analysis for a Restaurant
- Menu and Planning Analysis for a Restaurant
- Purchasing Department Operations
Conferences Presentations/Seminars Given
- 2019 – International Conference on Strategic Innovative Marketing and Tourism – ICSIMAT 2019 – University of Chios, Greece, Paper Presentation: “Addressing Guest Complaints in Hospitality Industry”.
- 2018 – 11th Annual Conference of the EuroMed Academy of Business. University of Malta, Malta Paper Presentation: “Developing a Hotel Organizational Culture”.
- 2018 – International Conference on Strategic Innovative Marketing and Tourism – ICSIMAT 2018, University of South Aegean, Athens, Greece, Paper Presentation: “Developing Multi-Channel Customer Relationship Management Strategy for Hotel Operation”.
- 2017 – AIHR Annual Conference, Strenden University, Holland. Paper Presentation: Quality Service in the Hospitality Industry: Achieving Effective Service Processes and Designs”.
- 2015 – The 3rd World Research Summit for Tourism and Hospitality, Rosen College, Orlando, USA. Paper Presentation: “Developing Multi-Channel Customer Relationship Management Strategy for Hotel Operation”.
- 2012 – The 4th Research Symposium in Service Management, Marian International Institute of Management (MIIM). Paper presentation: “Customer Satisfaction in Hospitality Industry”.
- 2011 – The 12th International Research Symposium on Service Excellence in Management, The Center for Hospitality Research, School of Hotel Administration, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York, USA. Paper Presentation: “Building a Hotel Organizational Culture”.
- 2008 – Tenth International Conference – INBUSH- Amity University, Delhi, India. Paper Presentation: Developing a Hotel Organizational Culture. Recipient of 1st Research Award.
- International Conference on Religious Tourism: “Religious Tourism and Sustainability”, by World Tourism Association.
- Participated in many conferences held by the Cyprus Hotel and Managers Associations and additionally in many others concerning the Hospitality Industry Worldwide.
Research Interests & Activity
- Hotel Management, Agrotourism
- Service Quality Management, Performance Appraisal
- Leadership, Educational Leadership
- Presentation Skills, Training and Professional development
Sports Activities and Distinctions
- Anorthosis Famagusta, Football Club (1976–1978). Played in forward position, scoring the total of 20 goals.
- Pancyprian Football Club, New York (1978–1981). Played in forward position, scoring 30 goals.
- Denver University Football Club (1981-1984). Played in forward position, scoring 104 goals.
- Enosis Neon Paralimni Football Club (1986-1988). Played in forward position, scoring 10 goals.
- Enosis Neon Paralimni Volleyball Club (1972-1975) – Player
- Famagusta Squash Club (1991-2001) – President and Player
- Denver Hall of Fame, (2007)
- 2018 – Honorary Distinction by Anorthosis Club of Fans
- 2017 – Honorary Distinction by Dherynia Municipality
- 2015 – Honorary Distinction by Anorthosis Football Club
- 2014 – Social Contribution to charity by the center of offering and love (KEPA)
- 2008 – 1st Research Award by Amity University, Delhi, India
- 2007 – Denver University Athletic Hall of Fame
- 2005 – Honorary Distinction by Derynia local committee of large families
- 2000 – PAUL HARRIS FELLOW (The Rotary Foundation of Rotary International)
- 1981 – 84 – Denver University: Recipient of Athletic Scholarship
- 1981 – 84 – Denver University: Most Valuable Player for three consecutive years
- 1981 – 84 – All Rocky Mountain Soccer Player for three consecutive years.1983 – NAIA – All American Soccer Player
- 1982 – NAIA – 2nd National Leading Scorer
- 1981 – Nassau College: Dean’s Honour List for two consecutive years•
Professional Memberships and Social Contribution
- Member of Cyprus Hotel Association
- Member of the Cyprus Hotel Managers Association
- Member of Chef’s Association
- Member of the American Hotel and Motel Association
- Member of Cyprus Educational Administration Society
- Past President of the Famagusta Cavo Greco Rotary Club
- Vice President of the Board Cyprus Squash Association
- President of the Famagusta Squash Association
- Member of Famagusta Track and Field Athletic Association (GSE)
- Writing articles concerning Hotel, Restaurant and Tourism
- Active in Sports, Studying, Computers and Gardening
- Cyprus Army, Corporal, 1976-1978
Skills & Abilities
MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) , SPSS
Leadership, Teamwork, Creativity, Planning, Time Management